Beach Birthday

I Heart ArubaAs I mentioned the other day, I went away for this last weekend. My girlfriend Kim celebrated a milestone birthday and she invited three of her girlfriends down to her home in Aruba to celebrate.

20130303_171758And the timing just couldn’t have been any better as I’ve had just about enough of snow and freezing temps. A weekend on an island sounded pretty sweet to this freezing cold mom.

20130303_172631Myself, Rene and Desiree were greeted at the airport by the birthday girl. After fully hydrating us with her homemade sangria, she took us on a wonderful tour of her island.

Aruba BeachWe toured the beaches, ate the freshest fish you could imagine and soaked up the sun the entire weekend. Sun, sand and adult beverages. Just the medicine we all needed after such a rough winter. And a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday too!

Aruba LighthouseA weekend is not enough time to fully appreciate all that Aruba has to offer which means that a return trip is needed. Aruba really is a beautiful place and I’m so thankful for my time there with friends.

After a whirlwind weekend, I flew back home last night and what did I see when I got off of the plane? More snow. I swear this is the winter that will never end.

But I have to say that the weekend in Aruba has fortified me and I think I soaked up enough vitamin D to get me through until spring.

How about you? Have you been to Aruba? What’s your favorite sunny place to visit?

Comments

1. We’re all mental for living anyplace where there isn’t year-round beach weather, blue ocean and palm trees. And that is all. Thank you.

BTW: Great pics. Looks like fun. Glad you got to escape the arctic tundra for a bit.

• Melanie says:

Agreed. We should only live where coconuts grow. Amen. It was a lot of fun. But back to reality now. Looks like your area is getting slammed!

Welcome back Melanie!! You look like you had a great time!! I have never been to Aruba but it looks fabulous!! Now I want to go for a visit, soon!!!!

3. How fun! I’ve never been there but I want to go!

4. Kathy Baker says:

Melanie I ‘m so happy you made it to Aruba! Yes I have been 3 times as a gift from my parents and sister, I have a wonderful family. I am one of eight and have been blessed with 6 over the years who are now all driving(how did I survive that?). My Sister has a time share at Costa Linda on the beach and I needed lots of Happy Hours to keep me from missing my brood at home! On my beach combing I found lots of great shells and ended up with a bit of a burn from the line where my tankini rose from my shorts as I bent over picking up shells! I brought all those shells home and have them scattered in the rocks by the foundation of my home and I’ve placed a light house with a solar light by my door to remind me of special times with family, I lost my Mom 2 years ago to cancer and absolutely cherish those memories and treasures. Let’s hope the D lasts for you, but seriously I would take a supplement and stay healthy! Thankyou for sharing your trip with us!

• Melanie says:

I’m so sorry that you lost your Mom. I can’t even imagine. BUT I’m glad for you that you have happy memories to reflect back on. I too collect shells, rocks and sea glass. I keep them in a large glass container and looking at it makes me very happy. Peaceful even. Thanks for sharing your memories with me. :)

5. Barbara Rogers says:

I was having coffee on my patio this am, and watching all the boy doves chase the girl doves around so Spring in near. So for now I will send you some California sunshine. I hope your flight was uneventful as I know flying isn’t your favorite.

• Melanie says:

Ahhh, you know me well. Nope, flying is not my favorite and I was white knuckled as usual. It’s just under a 5 hour flight. Ugh. There were a few bumps, but I made it. When are they going to make those teleporters like they have in Star Trek? ;)

6. I’ve been to Aruba over 10 times, my favorite place on earth. You have a picture of the California Lighthouse, we ate at the restaurant near there called La Trattoria once, and a bunch of goats came up on the back to visit us. We have gotten to know some locals, and visit with them when we go. The weather is always, always great and you can’t beat the hospitality of the island. Did you go to Charlie’s Bar? I love just driving around randomly on the island, it’s not like you can get lost!

• Melanie says:

Oh you lucky duck to have gone so many times. Such a bit of paradise! Nope, no Charlie’s Bar for me. We did hit our share of good places to eat and drink though. And the locals are friendly. I saw quite a few goats too. :)

7. Valerie S says:

I’m so happy for you! Thrilled that you had a wonderful, relaxing trip. I’ve never been there, it looks heavenly.

8. Leah C. From Florida says:

Your trip looks fantastic and so did your hair!!! I love it curly!!

• Melanie says:

Ha! I finally gave up trying to straighten it. It was a losing battle, lol. I straightened it as soon as I got home though!!

9. Have a vacation booked for Aruba this coming August to celebrate our 2-year anniversary! I took my very first vacation in my life at the age of 23 to Aruba with my now-husband, then we celebrated our honeymoon there too!
    We ended up buying timeshare while I was in a drug-induced stupor after I broke my wrist falling off an ATV during an ATV tour of the island…. we weren’t even out of the parking lot yet when I fell off!!

Let me tell you… you DO NOT want to end up in a Aruban hospital… :-)

10. Looks so wonderful especially as it is snowing slush right now!

11. Patricia N. says:

I have never been to Aruba but would love to go sometime. The closest I’ve been to heaven on earth was when we went to the southern Yucatan in Mexico. Loved the trip; hated the plane ride. I, like you, am not a good flyer. I wish you had brought some of that sunshine back with you; this morning we have at least 10″ of snow here in Middleboro and I am just sick of it. It was pretty the first time around; now it is just a nuisance. I’d even fly somewhere to get away from it.

So happy you got to go and escape this miserable weather for a while. Looked like you were having fun. That’s what I would call the ultimate girl’s weekend.