Running Ahead

20130305_145515When I woke up yesterday it was so nasty out. Black clouds, winds that blew straight through to the bones, drizzle. Just a lot of blah. Definitely one of those days that would make it so easy to say no to exercise and justify crawling back into a warm snuggly bed.

But unfortunately (or fortunately) for me, if I don’t exercise regularly I feel like I’m the tin man. Creaky. So, off I went into the cold crappy weather to burn a few calories.

At my last physical post accident, my doctor told me that I was ok to run again. “Run for what”, I asked. Because let me tell you, there isn’t much I’ll run for. Sure, I broke into a light jog for the Boden sale, but if it weren’t for super cute strappy heels for a fraction of retail, I run for nothing.

But something happened yesterday while on my usual 5 mile trek. I wanted to run. And that was something very new to me, this desire to run. But I decided to give it a whirl. At first I just jogged from light pole to light pole. Gasping for breath like someone dying from emphysema. It wasn’t pretty.

After catching my breath, I did the same thing. Light pole to light pole until I couldn’t do it anymore. But once I got the hang of it, I pushed myself a little harder and actually ran. What used to take me an hour and a half to complete took just over an hour. No, I won’t be running in the Olympics anytime soon with that kind of time, but for me that was pretty darn impressive.

20130305_145535Towards the end of my walk/jog/run, I ran into a woman who was painting by the water’s edge and I stopped to admire her artistry. “Lovely day”, I said sarcastically. She looked at me with a smile. “It’s all what you make of it, really” she said pleasantly.

Indeed, I agreed. The day truly is what you make of it.

And with that, I jogged back to my car with a little more spring in my step.

Comments

Wise woman you ran into Melanie! You have shared a much nicer pic of that bridge before but the day and that view is what you make of it. You have come so far since the accident and I am very proud of you that you can run again as well as back up to your 5 mile walk. You are an inspiration. You go girl!

• Melanie says:

Yes, I have shared cheery pictures of that bridge before. It was certainly a gloomy day. But if you notice her picture, the image is rather cheery. Interesting.

2. Karen R. says:

:) What a great story to start *yet another* grey Ohio day with…Thank you!

3. My exercise routine is walking, but lately I’ve had the urge to jog. And guess what? I really enjoyed it! Congrats on your run!

• Melanie says:

I hear ya. Walking is usually my thing. I have to tell you though, I’ve been one hurtin’ puppy since that run. Everything hurts, lol.

4. Marian B says:

Good for you…..

5. Keep going, little by little. We take part in 5K’s as a family (I am always last) which helps us all exercise and have fun. Last weekend we travelled to take part in a Color Me RAD 5K. We ran in 29 degrees with snow flurries but had the greatest time getting pelted with “color” along the run. I always end up walking the up hill parts but otherwise its just slow and steady. My youngest can speed walk as fast as I job, but I keep moving.

• Melanie says:

That is awesome. I think that families that exercise together are so much healthier in so many ways. What a way to set an example!

6. Cassie Sue says:

Congrats on your run. I’m not a “runner” by any means, but I do find it to be a great stress reliever.

And I agree that it is all what you make of it, the last time it rained here, like 6 people from my office ran around outside and jumped in puddles. It was crazy and silly and we were soaked, but it was so fun and a great stress reliever to run and laugh and be goofy.

7. Go Melanie!!

8. Good for you. I don’t run, just walk, but I admire anyone that does. Yesterday was yucky here as well, I am impressed that you not only went out, but stayed out exercising for over an hour! Go girl!

• Melanie says:

Trust me, I didn’t want to. If it had been sleeting or snowing I would’ve said forget it. I’m only so hearty. ;)

9. Valerie S says:

good for you!

10. I hate running. Absolutely detest it. And I’m really, really bad at it. But my boxing guy told me that jumping rope for 10 minutes is the equivalent of running 2 miles. I can’t jump rope that well either but I’d rather jump rope for 2 minutes than run for 2o minutes. Good trade off!

• Melanie says:

I’m not coordinated enough to jump rope. I’d whack myself in the skull. Good for you that you can do it!

11. It’s funny that you have suddenly wanted to run because I keep getting the same thought which puzzles me because I have never wanted to run.

12. Patricia N. says:

Enjoy the running while you can. I love to run, but I can’t run as much as I used to. I had a knee replacement 2 years ago and can’t run as much as I want to any more. It just feels funny and isn’t as much fun as it used to be. I miss it so much.
    So happy to hear that your check up went well and you are cleared to run. I know from years of arthritis that you have to keep moving to stop the creaking, so keep up those walks. I live out in the woods with no sidewalks. After your accident, I pretty much stopped walking in my neighborhood and now walk at the mall or in town where it is safer. (Not so safe walking at the mall. The last time I did that I spent some serious money. Stopping to shop doesn’t keep the heart rate up there either. (Unless your heart beats quicker because you found some cute little shoes.)

13. Another beautiful story – you running and the inspirational words of a stranger. That’s something I’ll have to keep in the forefront of my thoughts more often. How often we forget that every day is a present and we can choose to do with it what we want (and it’s always better to choose something worthwhile just as you did with your run/jog/walk.) Great post. Now if only that were motivation enough to get me to run.

14. Great minds think alike – I’ve been stepping up my walking routine with plans to start a Couch-to-5k training in the next few weeks – I woke up in the middle of the night recently and thought, “I need to run a 5k”. That is not a thought that would normally cross this mind…especially at 4 a.m.

But I’m gonna give it a shot anyway! Thanks for the added inspiration!