Still Breathing

I miss you. Does that sound crazy? Is it sane to miss people that you haven’t met in real life? Whether or not that makes sense, it’s true. I miss you an awful lot.

Not blogging on a regular basis feels unnatural. I guess it took losing my free time to realize how much I love to share my life with you. All of it.

The good stuff. The sad days. The selfies when I capture myself in a good hair moment. Pictures of the girls when they are looking adorable. Pictures of the boys when they allow it. The times when my self-esteem is suffering. The days when I feel like a rockstar.

I don’t think I truly appreciated how much it meant to me that I could share that stuff with you until I lost the time to do so.

Now that I’ve been working for a couple of weeks, I realize that blogging won’t be as easy to do anymore. Or at least I won’t be able to do it as often. But that’s a temporary thing. I need to get a handle on it all. A rhythm. I haven’t found my rhythm yet.

Hell, I’m lucky to find my office on most days. I wish I was kidding. I drove into the office today, made one wrong turn and ended up in Chinatown. Not that that’s an entirely bad thing, but no one wants stir fry at 8am.

I guess what I’m trying to say is not to give up on me. I’m still here. I still want to talk to you. Share things with you. And even grow with you as this blog and its author also grows with each new experience that presents itself.

It’s just going to take some time.

Now onto the positive stuff. HOLY HECK do I love my job. The people are amazing. So smart and creative. I’m learning new things every day. And I’m not even talking about learning how to work the copy machine. (although that thing is a beast)

I’m learning about budgeting, proposals for clients, marketing, sales…. you name it, I’m learning it. And by now you know me well enough to understand how much I thrive under a challenge.

There are lots of challenges with this job and I’m all in on learning how to be effective in each area. Learning is good. I never want to stop learning new things. It’s what makes life interesting. Don’t you think?

This weekend coming up looks pretty calm. My hope is to share some cool images with you. I just need to sleep and regroup in order to write a somewhat coherent blog post. I’m pretty sure this one is a hot mess and all over the place.

It’s because I’m tired. But I didn’t want to go to bed until I told you how much I miss you. And even if I can’t respond to comments right now, I will when I get a handle on all of this. I don’t want you to think for a moment that you aren’t important to me. Because you are. All of you.

Comments

1. We miss u too. Have fun at work and we will be right here waiting when u have time.

2. The good news is that you are enjoying it!! That is the most important thing and everything else will come in time, your blog and your readers will still be here and we will look forward to hearing from you all the more when you are able to write. I hope that you don’t end up in Chinatown too often though! As you say stir fry probably isn’t the most popular option for breakfast!! How are the egg muffins going! Take care, keep going and I am so glad that you are enjoying yourself. xx

3. Yours is one of the first blogs I check each day with my coffee – I get a half-second sad when there’s not a new post (!), but we know you’re in the middle of a BIG life adjustment. All is fine – we’ll still be here :)

Good morning Melanie! I’m very glad you are still breathing and enjoying your new job. It sounds very exciting indeed! We’re still here and still checking your blog every day to see if you have added anything to your adventure that you share with us. Take care of yourself as you find your rhythm and establish a new balance to your busy life.

5. Alexandra says:

here, here! join me to the group that checks every day. We understand and we are very happy you are loving your job. Agree, learning is fun!. Enjoy. We will still be here whenever you get time.

6. kristin m says:

You are a rockstar!! You will get it all under control and be awesome at all of it! Enjoy all of it and your people will still be here when you get back! Congrats again on the new job, you deserve to do something you love!!!

7. I’m so happy you love your job :) Take care of yourself and rest well, you’ll find your rhythm soon. I’m still here and checking your blog everyday too.

8. Cheryl L. says:

Was just thinking about you today and remembering you’re one of us now! Us working outside the home people…. So glad to hear you love your job – that can be a rare thing.

9. So glad to “see” you today. It made me smile. You are a bright spot in this cray cray world :)
    Hugs from Hope in Ohio!

10. Jennifer Ryder says:

I’m so happy that your new job is going well. No way in hell am I giving up on you!!

11. Still hanging around. You can’t get rid of us that easily. ;-)

12. Could never give up on you. I, and I’m pretty sure I speak for most if not all your readers, will be here waiting patiently. We’re that kind of group you know. We love and miss you too. Just glad to know that it’s all going so well for you. You’ll find a balance and figure it all out…and when you do, we’ll be here reading and posting our comments.

Have a great weekend Mel!

13. I agree with everyone else: We aren’t going to give up on you! Yours is one of the first sites I check when I wake up in the morning, and it will be until the moment in the very FAR future when you decide to give it all up.

I am so glad that your job is living up to everything you wanted it to be! I’m in a position now where even though I love what I do, if I want to advance and move up the corporate ladder, I would have to move to a different department with a different skill-set.

My existing position (or rather my core job responsibility) is emotionally gratifying on a level my coworkers don’t understand. I get to help keep people from losing their homes. The person behind the scenes finding that missing payment, correcting a major error before it hit the customer’s credit report, processing that refund at the last minute when everyone else has gone home and it is the difference between having the customer wake up to tons of overdraft fees or a positive balance, etc.

The teams I assist with these different processes appreciate me as well. I just received a gorgeous bouquet of flowers from them a few days ago. So I love many things about my position right now, but I know that if I want to move up and let’s be honest, make more money, that I am going to have to leave this emotionally-satisfying position, and go for something else.

What if I leave this, and go somewhere else within my company that makes me feel like a Death Eater, sucking out souls one at a time?

Wow that was longer than I anticipated it to be! Good job if y’all made it this far!

14. Nancy Vining says:

I retired a year ago last December from a job I absolutely loved doing and I miss it a little bit each day. It is wonderful to find that kind of place in the working world. Treasure the feelings when you accomplish great things for a multitude of folk and the smaller things where the way you affect just one or two is important only to them. Both are equally important IMHO. We agree to wait for the times when you find something you need to chat about and the time and space in your day to connect. That’s what friends do. Even friends who have never met!

15. We miss you, too! I’m glad to hear that you love your new job. That’s not the most common thing to hear a person. say. Take your time, find your rhythm, and we’ll be here waiting for you when you get back.

16. Miss you as well, but will be here whenever you have time to post. Enjoy!