Transition

I’m just days away from starting my new job. When asked by a close friend if I’m excited or nervous about my first day, my response was excited with a side of petrified. Which I guess is normal. Starting a new job is a major stressor for anyone. And in my case after being a work at home mom for the past twenty years, I’m especially anxious.

What am I most anxious about? I’m not even sure.

I’ve combed through my closet about a zillion times trying to decide on the perfect first day of work outfit. In the end I settled on a pink tweed skirt, fitted black turtle neck with tights and riding boots. I’ll probably be over dressed, but I’d rather look a little too professional than not professional enough on that first day.

I’ve mapquested every possible commuter route just in case there’s some crazy traffic glitch that could trip me up on my first day of getting to work. And I kid you not, I have routes via train, bus and boat at the ready. My normal route will include a ferry ride which is pretty cool. Not so cool in March when the winds cut to the bone, but definitely lovely during summer when the weather is less angry. One of the benefits of commuting in a coastal area.

My calendar has everything neatly laid out with important dates highlighted. And after syncing my calendar with the school calendar my head is spinning with all of the inservice half days the kids have. Is it just me or did we not have those when we were kids? Good grief there are a lot of half days. That will certainly be one of my bigger challenges this year. I’m starting to have a profound respect for moms who work out of the home. It’s like playing calendar Tetris.

Even though I think I’ve figured mostly everything out, I’m still feeling anxious. I guess part of it is the fear of the unknown. What exactly am I going to do? Sure, I have a list of responsibilities, but what will my day look like? Will it take me days to settle in or will it feel comfortable from the start? Will I make friends quickly? Will someone join me for lunch? Silly things to worry about for sure, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t thinking about them.

But mostly I’m excited.

Excited and profoundly thankful to work at the agency I admire the most here in Boston. It feels like a dream come true. I know that sounds corny, but I can’t even express how thankful I am for this opportunity.

And now it just hit me. The thing that I’m most worried about. I’ve been staring at my laptop screen for the past half hour trying to figure out how to wrap up this post. And as I’ve stared at the screen, I’ve realized what my biggest issue is…

Because I’ve  walked into my dream job, I feel like I need to give this company 150% of me. That I need to give them some serious ROI for giving me this amazing opportunity. This job that I’ve been working towards for years now.

And I don’t want to let them down.

I’m probably worrying too much. Maybe I should go back to obsessing over my outfit. Or maybe I should check the weather for next week and see if my boat has the possibility of capsizing.

If my new job was Manager of Worrying, I’d be well on my way to a promotion.

Comments

1. Did I miss a post, I’m a little confused about the new job. Regardless, congratulations!!! Wishing a great first day! :)

2. I applaud you for taking the leap! I was beginning to feel anxiety over what it would be like for me to re-enter the work force after 20 years away. Just typing that made me realize it HAS been 20 years here as well. Yikes! Everything will work out the way it was planned and you will be terrific. No doubts. Congratulations and remember to enjoy this!

• Melanie says:

I had the same anxiety. Twenty years is a long time, but apparently not as big of a deal as I thought. And I agree, everything always works out as it should. :)

3. Michelle L. says:

What you’re feeling is completely normal. I went through the same thing in October, after being a stay at home wife for 5 years. You will adjust quickly and after a couple days you will be reflecting on this post and asking yourself why you let your nerves and anxiety get the best of you. I also experienced this every summer prior to resuming school as a kid/teen. Fear of the unknown is a woman’s greatest enemy. Our minds imagine things way worse than they ever actually become. I’m a big believer in things happening for a reason and this is your time to shine!

Congrats & good luck!

• Melanie says:

I know you’re right. The fear of the unknown is a powerful thing. Just like you, I was anxious before school started each year. Transitions are always worrisome. I just need to be careful not to allow it to steal my joy.

Congratulations again on the new job and the great opportunity Melanie! Your anxiety is perfectly normal and realistic response to the transition and change. Fear of the unknown can be paralyzing but we as human beings display great courage by facing that fear and pushing through to the other side that invariably is easier than we imagined. Known challenges become opportunities as we learn that we can do the job and bring our unique talents to bear in the new workplace environment. You have great talents as a writer and photographer that you display in your blogs. Knock ‘em dead Melanie! By the way, I love your description of planning and researching all of the possible commuter routes, you are The Manager of Worry!

5. I’m so excited for you!! Oh and I bet that outfit will be perfect! So cool that you get to ride a ferry to work!!

6. How exciting, but definitely worrisome! You have so much to offer and the agency is lucky to have found you. Please let us know how the first day went!

7. Congratulations Melanie, you will be great and so will the job, I have every confidence in you making it all work. Remember that they are lucky to have you, so they should be just as nervous as you!!!! Take it one step at a time and it will all come together. You have no need to manager of worry, because you WILL be manager of brilliance!!!!! Good luck and let us know how you get on! xx

8. Melanie, I’m so very excited for you! I know you have been working towards this goal for quite some time! The company is so very lucky to have won over such a dedicated and driven professional! Wishing you much happiness, success and fun in your new venture!! Judy

9. Bobbie P. says:

Congratulations! You will do great!

10. kristin m says:

Best of luck! Just like a first day of school for our kids, we wish them well, say a prayer and off they go! You will be awesome! Enjoy!

11. Praying that everything is working out perfectly for you today Melanie!

Congrats!!

12. Barbara Rogers says:

Well???? How did your first day of work go????

13. Bobbie P. says:

Hope you enjoyed your Egg McMuffin and had a great first day!